Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy, happy Thanksgiving

We have a white Thanksgiving!  The pictures were taken on November 23rd, the day of the storm, but aside from snow having been plowed and shoveled, it is basically the same amount as it has been way below freezing since.

I love this view out the front door, it never disappoints me.

You just have to have a view or three out the back door too. The south 40 (1 acre)...


... my poor barbecue under 12" of snow...

... a frozen wind spinner ...

... and the new chicken coop showing how the blowing snow stuck to the fence! I went out and hit the fence and it all came down in one fell swoop!

Silly I know, but I've been giving the chickens cooked rice that's still warm to hold them overnight when temps have been dropping into the minus and teens' range. I will freeze my chickens on my schedule, not Mother Nature's!

The sun is shining this morning, but the temperature will only go to 34 today. I hope everyone has a safe and satiating Thanksgiving. I am going to two houses for dinner ... I'm wearing pants with elastic in the waist!! ... and I'm bringing containers to bring home some leftovers too ... LOL

Hugs

9 comments:

Mary said...

Stay warm mtnchild! It's cold also here in town, and the hill I live on is a toboggan ride when driving :-)

Mama Pea said...

lovely snow pictures! Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with people you love.

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

It looks so beautiful!
Warm rice sounds like a comforting treat. My mom sent me an article that said to feed hens cracked corn only when it was cold, because it raised their metabolism too much on hot days. So, I wonder if this is cracked corn season, or hot cocoa!?
Happy Thanksgiving Yvette

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Heeehehehe!!! You will freeze your chickens on your schedule. You crack me up girl!

WoW, look at all that snow. We started Thanksgiving Day warm, in fact I was in shorts. By noon it was sleetin' and by one it was snowing. Nothin' compared to yours. By mornin' it was 19 degrees.

Hope you and yours had a grand Thanksgiving!

God bless ya and have a splendid weekend!!!!

Dirt Lover said...

Hi! I found you from Mama Pea's site. Lots of snow at your place! We drive through your town on our way to family in Oregon, up by the Bend area. Nice to meet you!
~~Lori

Yolanda said...

You got so much snow. We didn't get that much. I hope you are having a lovely holiday season.

Paula said...

So pretty! I love that your feeding the girls warm rice. Betting that they love that. Keep warm, my friend!

Jen (emsun.org) said...

We haven't had a true snowfall yet, but instead merely a sprinkling that melted instantaneously. I'm almost jealous - but only almost. I hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful!

Tine said...

Oh wow! I thought we had a lot of snow! This is really amazing. It looks so beautiful, but it must be REALLY cold?!