Sunday, January 13, 2013

Frozen pipes anyone?

It was a beautiful clear sunny morning when I rolled out at about 8:20 ... until I tried to turn on the HOT water ... frozen, absolutely frozen solid.  Not sure exactly where the pipes were frozen it is always disheartening when you realize you have to get dressed and go out to take a look.  UGGH!!

I happened to look at the outdoor thermometer before I left the house and it was -6 ... yup -6.  I just about went back to bed and pulled the covers waayyy over my head, but nope, the pipes have to be melted.  I did what I could from the inside - took off the tub faucet handles, the shields and sat there with a heavy duty blow dryer aimed through the holes in the wall at the manifold for hot/cold/shower.  And I sat, and I sat, and I sat some more ... no hot water!  Damn ...  I called my bestest friend at 9:25, told him what I've done and he said keep on keeping on, and call him by 10 if nothing broke loose.

He called me back about 15 minutes later to say that he was frozen too!  Oh brother.  It only took him 30 minutes to thaw his pipes at the water heater ... good, I'm glad.  He then came down and started in on mine since nothing had broken loose ... oh goodie!  He has a torch that he used, and the blow dryer too.  NOTHING!!!  We were out there for 1 1/2 hour before we got more than a tiny, little trickle out of the hot water tap, both bathroom sink and kitchen sink.  He continued, bless his heart, to work on the pipes ... FINALLY!!!  We have hot water!! Yeahhhhh!!  We then knew we had to do some insulating ... that took another 30 minutes, but we got it done.  By this time it was after 1:00 pm.  I keep turning the water on to make sure it's still there ... can you blame me?

We visited for a while, actually we had to thaw out, had a few drinks - well earned - then we had to clear, actually HE cleared the roof on the chicken yard.  There was about 14-16 inches of snow on the seam, in the middle of the chicken yard roof - it had to go.  I have one of those roof rakes that works super, but I'm a little short to get the center of the roof, so my friend did most of that for me.  This man is such a blessing; he steps in to help when I get stuck trying to do anything.

So, how was your Sunday?  I'm POOPED!  I think I will sleep well tonight, but will still try the hot water when I have to get up to go potty - wouldn't you?

Long post for frozen pipes, huh?

Blessings to all of you, and hope your Sunday was a lot better than mine.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Frozen water here in Northern California! I haven't visited your blog for away...

mtnchild said...

I was gone for a year, but I'm back to posting again. Good to "see" you too. Frozen pipes are the worst because you don't know exactly where the frozen zone is. Hope you and Jim are faring well.

Linda said...

We are fairing well... although been fighting frozen pipes for days now. Get them fixed and then something else goes wrong...