Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Did you know . . . ?

I just read an email that I put in a folder for safekeeping - - - and as I was cleaning out all my emails, I thought that I would try it just for sh*ts and giggles.

First, here is the email:

Thought you may be interested in this email I received especially if you use dryer sheets in the dryer!

"The heating unit went out in my dryer. The repairman went in to the dryer and pulled out the lint screen / filter. It was clean. We always clean the lint from the filter after every load of clothes.

He told us that he wanted to show us something.

He took the filter over to the sink and ran hot water over it. Now, this
thing is like a mesh-I'm sure you know what your dryer's lint filter looks
like - WELL......the hot water just laid on top of the mesh!!! It didn't go
through it at all!!! He told us that dryer sheets cause a film over that
mesh and that's what burns out the heating unit. You can't SEE the film, but
it's there. He said the best way to keep your dryer working for a very long
time (and to keep your electric bill lower) is to take that filter out and
wash it with hot soapy water and an old toothbrush (or other brush) at least
every six months. He said that makes the life of the dryer at least twice as
long! How about that???!!!! Learn something new everyday!

I certainly didn't know dryer sheets would do that. So, thought I'd share!
Note: I went to dryer and tested my screen by running water on it.
The water collected a little but ran though the screen. I dried it off and
was ready to put it back in the dryer since the water ran through it but, I
thought was the heck it won't hurt to wash it while I had it out.

Warm soap water and a nylon brush and I had it done in 30 seconds. I then
ran the water over the screen and what a difference the water just gushed
through it with no puddling at all and this time I was running the water at
a faster rate. That repairman knew what he was talking about.

running when you leave the house. Ask any firefighter!)"

Now I tried this, and yes, the water bubbled up and rolled around on the screen! I washes it, dried it and tried again. YUP, the water went straight through the screen! I'm no expert about dryer fires, but I will continue to do this in the future. I have never left my washer or dryer running when I leave the house . . . I'm not particularly fond of the idea of coming home to a flood in my kitchen when the water lines to the washer blow, nor am I thrilled thinking about coming home to my house in ashes along with my 2 cats and dog.

I'm not into scaring any one, but this really works. Go ahead and try it just for fun . . . you might find it is not so funny after all.

Hugs to all and stay safe

1 comment:

Betty said...

I read this some time ago and I always check my lint filter; and, I wash it occasionally, too. Thanks for the reminder and the 'heads up' for those who didn't know. "Better safe than sorry" is a really good adage.