Monday, May 18, 2009

Oh my . . .

My blogaversary was on May 13 and I missed it. I thought I'd make 100 posts before I hit a year - guess I don't have that much to say! Maybe I should quit talking to myself and save it all up for a post . . . I don't know how much of it you would understand since I really do ramble, talk to the animals, talk to the plants, etc., etc.

I thought I'd try one of those upside down hanging thingies for tomatoes. I didn't want to spend the money for the ones on TV, so I sort of made my own . . .



I hope it works - really don't see why not. You can just see the plant coming out the bottom of the milk jug, it is reaching for the sun and seems to be doing fine. It has been there for 2 days and is no worse for wear.

It was a bit tricky to insert the plants since I have them in those little peat pots that disintegrate with time. I cut a piece of fiberglass screen with a slit in it to go around the plant stems, then turned the jug upside down to pull the leaves through the hole in the jug. The screen keeps the soil from falling out and won't hurt the stems but will expand with growth. I then filled the jug with potting soil, and found a metal hanger to bend into shape so it would hang from one of the end rafters on the back porch. It's not pretty, but if it grows tomatoes, who cares!

I get lots of deer in my yard, but they won't come that close to the house, so I figure I'm safe.

Hot weather for us here over the weekend - in the mid to upper 80's. That's right after weeks of upper 50' and lower 60's and rain, so those of you that are in the 90's and 100's can laugh all you want over "my" version of hot! This week will be perfect in the mid to upper 70's.

I have 3 basic areas with grass and since my room mate moved I have to mow . . . Phew, I can only do one area at a time, and not very well at that. I did the two in the front over the weekend in the early mornings, and the backyard really needs it too, but it will have to wait a day or two - I'm not use to mowing and I hurt! My yard has different types of grass and some of it got to be about 12"+ tall!!! I won't let that happen again - it's too hard to push the mower through. You can even see a bit of the backyard Jungle in the picture above.....

I will leave you with wishes of perfect weather - your style!

4 comments:

Betty said...

Perfect weather - your style? That's so sweet! Our high yesterday was 108...and, THAT's my style!

I think your tomato hangy-thingy is great! Looks like it's going to work just fine!

Sorry you have to mow. I used to mow our yard in Boise, and it took me about 1 1/2 hours...didn't have a riding mower. It was good therapy after work...let me get all that angst out in one fell swoop! Now, all we have is gravel and I really miss the grass!

Fond memories! Take care, my friend!

Paula said...

Loving your tomato upside down thingymabob! Really interested to see how it works as the plant continues to grow.
Congrats on your blogoversary!

Siri said...

Check out these homemade versions made from what looks like maybe three gallon buckets with the loop handle replaced with two sturdy wire hooks: http://www.flickr.com/photos/37118876@N03/3463805268/

I was looking at a friend's "real" topsy turvy tomato thing the other day and it had some sort of foam or sponge like ring (bigger than the hole in the bottom that the plant gets slipped through) with a slit across the radius that slips around the stem of the tomato to keep it from falling out the hole.
I don't see why your version shouldn't work great, too!

Britt-Arnhild said...

Happy bloggiversary :-)