Saturday, August 9, 2008

Animals, animals every where ! !

I've been feeding Dale & Candy's animals since Tuesday night. They are a fair with their daughter's 4-H project - - 2 goats! But they left behind 2 other goats, 9 rabbits, and 24 birds - a mixture of turkeys, ducks and chickens. They are not hard to take care of, but I have to drive a mile to get there (and then home) 3 times a day.

Around 9 a.m. I go up and let the birds out - they are already squawking at me to "Open that door!!!" They rush out like water after a broken damn! The first place they head is over under the regular bird feeders. Then they kind of wander around finding their spot for the day, or at least for the time being. Depending on the condition of the wading pool, I refill with 'new' water, or just top it off.

The rabbits take a bit more time and care. During this heat that we've had here in Southern Oregon, the rabbits need a fresh bottle of frozen water. They lay next to them when they get hot. Rabbits overheat very fast. We then need to check grain and give them a handful of alfalfa. Then they're happy!

The two remaining goats are easy - just check to see if they have alfalfa, and give them some grain.

Most of the time it only takes me 30-40 minutes depending on my speed, but then again, I don't have to clean the bottom of the ark! That will be Kerri's job when fair is over......

I go back up late afternoon (5-5:30) to check them all out for the night - the last trip will be around 8:30 to close the gate on the birds. They gather at dusk so they are easier to herd into the pen. Picturing myself running around trying to gather up birds is just too laughable to even consider. I prefer to wait. There is one perk that I thoroughly enjoy - I get to keep eggs........ nothing like fresh right out of the bird!!

OMG!!! I got to thinking the other day that it is only 8 week 'til opening day of deer season. Holy Cow! It shouldn't be that close! 3 months away would be more like it, but nooo, I just checked the calendar again, and yup! 8 weeks, that's it.

Wishing you sunny side up eggs!!!

No comments: