Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I have chickens

Starting about a year ago, I started thinking about getting some chickens. My room mate, D, said "no way!!!" OK, I let it go for the time being. Several months ago, when I knew D was moving, I started up again . . .

I mentioned to my friend Dale that I was again thinking of getting at least two chickens to help with the bugs in the back yard. Time passed and early last night Dale's neighbor showed up with three chickens in a cage. OK!!! I have chickens.



I have a kennel that my Houdini dog broke out of and I had thought that it would be a good place for the chickens after I fixed the hole in the gate. Well, I had to scramble to fix the hole temporarily last night and will do a better job today. I also need feed, but for right now there are weeds and bugs that they are scratching at right now.



I also need some straw. Dale's wife will bring me some this morning to carry me over for a few days. I have the dog bowl for water, so that is fine. They are full grown chickens so they won't drown themselves.

Now I need to find out what kind of chickens they are. I need to put together a coop for them - I just don't think the dog house will work ... LOL. Roosting area and nest boxes.

Those of you out there that know about chickens will probably get some questions from me. Natalie of Chicken Blog, and Siri of Knitting Iris are two of my favorites, and I'm sure they won't mind some questions.

... and if you find me and have some suggestions for me, feel free to comment. I appreciate all the help I can get.

I will keep you posted on the saga of my chickens.

Hugs

5 comments:

Britt-Arnhild said...

Good luck with your chickens.
Is it alot of work?

Christina J. said...

I'm curious to hear how things work out with the chickens! Good luck!

Paula said...

Yeah!! I grew up on a farm and keep telling myself that one of these days I will get some chickens again. We have to find our little farmhouse out in the country first though.
They look like Rhode Island Reds to me, but I could totally be wrong. Good luck with them!

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

w00ts!
They look like clucky hens... not a breed, just my happy observation. This is so exciting. Isn't it invigorating to jump in to something that we've wished we could do or have or see? I love it!

Katidids said...

OOOH! I have chicken envy! Trying to talk hubby into them...by spring he should be sick of hearing me yammer about them