Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The time just flies


I'm still crafting for the fair in Boston, and when I take a breath, I'm outside cleaning things up to get ready for winter. I started packing the crafts as I finished them, but I think I'll have to take some of them out again to show you pictures - I did promise after all!

This past week it was cold and rainy, but now the temperatures are heading back up to the 70' and 80's. I have a cold with this roller coaster ride - and that roller coaster has been running for over a year now. There wasn't much of a winter last year, and then almost no summer, and as today is the first day of Fall, I sure hope the coaster stops and lets us get off. I've heard from The Farmers Almanac that we are to have a 'normal' winter - and that means 4-5 feet of snow, maybe more. Last year we had 11-14 inches all total, so I can hardly wait. I'm also anxious to see how well my new weatherization will do.

I'm going to be buying the lumber and stuff to get a new chicken coop built. If we have 4-5 feet of snow the old tattered tarp covered dog kennel will not hold up too well. I also have a night visitor that is hell bent on getting in to my chickens. I think it's a possum, but am not totally sure. It is trying to dig under the pavers that are in there. I have chicken wire under all the pavers, except maybe where the gate is, and that's where the varmint is trying to get in. If I put a trap out there, I'm not sure what to do with him ... I also think I'd be afraid to get near it. I'm not too critter wise, but I do have a friend that will take care of it!!



I'm going to forgo hunting season this year. Usually I look forward to the camping part of it, but this year it has loomed on the horizon as a pain in the butt! Maybe because I'm not feeling that good with this cold, who knows. My friend will take my truck camper out this year as his wife and daughter won't be going either. He will also be able to tow the quad trailer loaded with extra water, generator, maybe the air compressor, and extra fuel. It will be tight quarters after his 24' 5th wheel, but all he'll do in it is sleep and maybe some cooking.

When I fed the cats this morning I noticed that there was 1/2 cup food left, so I'd better get going to town to replenish that! The cats won't like it if they have no dinner!

Hugs to all

5 comments:

Christina J. said...

You have certainly been busy! After our sweltering summer in Chicago, I've been looking forward to cooler temps. This week we started out in the mid-60s, yesterday we were near 90, today mid-79s and tomorrow near 90 again - it's crazy!

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

I hope your cold leaves asap.
Busy women do not need extra obstacles! Good luck with the coop. We are thinking how to prepare the shark cage for winter... it's critter proof, but I do not think it will be a happy place in rain and cold.

Gail said...

Hope you start feeling better soon. Maybe today's weather will help. Critters getting into the coop. Yep, I think a skunk. Smells like it anyway. A racoon, you don't want to mess with. Take care.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Maybe, just maybe that digger critter is eatin' your cat food too! I've started puttin' up Tiger the Wonder Dog's food 'cause the possums, skunks and 'coons thought it was their smorgasbord. I know a dog is suppose to keep the critters away but ya'll don't know Tiger.

I do believe your winter hung in the Ozarks last year. Wow, 4-5ft. now that's snow to be reckoned with

I pray that your cold leave ya once and for all, you poor thing.

God bless and have a beautifully blessed day!!!

Tilly said...

Hope your cold gets better soon. I know how you feel as I've had a cold since the end of July and it just won't go away. Hope you get the chickens sorted out and thanks ever so much for your kind comments about my mystery knit shawl :o)