Saturday, October 31, 2015

Boy oh boy have I been absent ...

It seems to go in spurts - nothing to say for a long time, even though things do happen, it just doesn't seem blog worthy.  I wish I could hit a consistent pace ... like once a week, or twice maybe, but sometimes I don't think you want to hear on a daily basis that I'm dehydrating onions ... I've been doing that almost daily for 1 1/2 weeks.  I dehydrate because I can't eat them fast enough, so dried they last forever and nothing goes to waste.

I've also been experimenting with other things like zucchini, pineapple and bananas.  Now I need to experiment with re-hydrating them.  Most of what I've read says to use HOT water for hours or even a day or two.  I'll find out.  I guess it also depends where you live and the humidity in the area at the time.  I love the dried pineapple - the process concentrates the flavor and even though they are a bit chewy, they are GOOD!!

I have some banana chips I did in July 2014, and they are still crisp and flavorful.  I've also dehydrated celery ... it comes out wonderful too!  My dehydrator is a Dehydro by Presto.  It has one temperature and the on/off switch is unplugging the machine.  The temp is set at 140 deg, but it seems to work fine even though some of the instructions say 115 to 155 degrees.  I just watch the time and check the food after every 90 minutes.  I may eventually move up to a bigger and better machine, but I have to save my nickles and dimes for that! 

My friend, Susan, and I were vendors in a craft show on Oct 10.  It was a so-so show.  I sold enough to cover my expense for the table, but Susan did not.  I think there were 15 vendors and I doubt many of them enjoyed the fair.  There weren't many people coming through, and those that did were elderly.  I'm elderly so no offense meant, but the items Susan and I had were for all ages and the holidays.  There were a couple of families, but nooo, not the best show I've ever done ... We will do it again next year - it could just have been a fluke this time.  It was only the 2nd Annual fair, so we'll give it another chance.  We will also express our ideas to the group putting on the fair about other things they need to do to attract attention and draw people in.  She asked for our opinion and for help, so we're not stepping on toes ... LOL  Susan and I have both organized craft fairs, so we do have some ideas ...

The weather is turning and getting colder, rain in the forecast, but the snow is a whole week off.  By the time we hit Sun 11-8, I'm sure the snow will disappear from the forecast.  We need SNOW desperately as the last 5 years have been very dry, but I'm beginning to despair of ever seeing 3-4-5 foot snowfalls again.

The two new chickens I got in March or April haven't laid one darn egg!  No they are not males, but if they're laying in the yard, I haven't found anything even though I walk the yard 1-2 times a week.  The older girls need to go in the stew pot, but I'm not ready for that yet.  Next spring when the new 'crop' of chicks come out I'll probably butcher them for the freezer - at this age they're only good for soup & stock, but they will be enjoyed none-the-less.

No comments: